Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Why CheDet?

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah dan salam sejahtera,

When people ask me: Who is your hero?
My answer ........was never and will never be Dr. Mahathir Mohammad or also known as CheDet. Having had this man to be my prime minister since the first time I stumbled upon Malaysian politic, CheDet played a significant role in my life during my childhood and as a teenager. Early years knowing him, I never like him. Simply because my father is a hardcore of the opposition. He loved to discuss politic with his fellow friends, and I, as a little kid loved to eavesdrop them.

He, my father would buy magazines and newspapers, of course from the opposition's proxy. However, ayah is not that close minded or 'jumud'. He also buys (till now) newspapers of the mainstream, just to keep the whole family updated with current issues. I remembered enjoying different newspapers for 'my lunch' after coming back from school. My reading 'menu' ranges from Utusan, Berita Harian, Harakah and Utusan Jawi (during the weekends). Yes, ayah bought Utusan and Berita Harian, but later he stopped subscribing for Utusan, as the news more or less were the same for both.

Now, back to CheDet. My father was my great influence for the foundation of my political view. What can I say, I was too opposition when I was a small kid. I talked about politic since I was in Standard Two. I, later realized that it was only me who fond of pembangkang. Ok, nevermind with that.

However, when I'm smart enough to digest whatever I've read, I started to ask ayah: apa salah PM (that time was CheDet), ayah? Ayah would give his answers plus some evidence, facts, hujahan and whatever he thinks it's right. Then, I would go: Owh, Ok...without further argument.

Years passed by, I was in my senior years in high school. Being a headgirl and prefect, I had to go to various leadership courses. Be it Kursus Kepimpinan Negara, Kursus Pemimpin Pelajar, Kursus Patriotisme, I attended it all. I still remember it vividly, it was 2001,when I started to argue once again with ayah.
"Ayah, nape ayah tak suka Dr.M? Apa salah dia?"
Ayah started to tell about Dr.M's corruption, misdeed, injustice in Anwar's scandal, Mega projects etc...
This time, I became argumentative (or was I trying to provoke ayah??). I told ayah that all the projects are meant for us, the rakyat. Please bear in mind, I had this conversation with highly respect towards ayah, plus some good akhlak as a daughter, his my ayah afterall, takkan nak masuk neraka pula.
I dont remember what happened next. All that I remember, ayah said: They brainwashed you 'Ain during the various courses that you've attended. I dont know what poison they used. Now we need to rewash you.
(Ok, I dont remember the exact words, but the idea is something like that)

Since then, I was called 'anak emas Mahathir' by the siblings. I had to tell them, multiple times, that: I'm neither taking the gov's side, nor the opposition's. I'm liberal. Whatever I think is good, then it's good.
However, Najib my kid brother loved to mock me with that gelaran. Najib, it doesnt hurt.

Ok, that is why when CheDet announcing his decision to quit UMNO, I did feel something. It's not that I'm arguing whether his decision is right or wrong. His decision has nothing to do with me. It's just weird I tell you.
Somehow, deep down inside.....CheDet, I feel for you.

p/s: I'm still liberal like I used to be.

10 comments:

Wan Ying said...

I had LOVED Dr M to bits. Truth to be spoken, who fr our generation does not?

What he's doin now however, creates chaos and nothing more of it for our already unstable country, so no, other than namin him the "disgruntled old man who can't let go of his position that comes wit fame, power and wealth", i really can't figure why and how he could smash the country he proclaims to have loved so much with a cold hard blow to the archilles tendon--like squashing a god damn half dead bug.

anyway Ain, just a reminder, keep it down wit the opposition tok here : SSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....JPA is listening.

heheh

amycheali85 said...

wan ying : JPA is nothing to do with our political ideas! they cant stop us from supporting the opponent side if we do..above all, msia is a democratic country pon rite? =)

ain : aku pon penah argue bende yg same ngn ayah aku.and yes! aku pon membesar di kalangan opponent side as ayah aku penyokong kuat PAS! =)

Wan Ying said...

If they are THAT liberal, they wouldn't ban you being involved with political movements except fot that of UNMO, MCA, MIC.

Think about it,,,, ;P

Anonymous said...

Wow wow wow a political entry is always the hot one...

I dont think JPA or anyone else would mine since there's a good chance that half of them voted for the opposition in the 12th GE.

Ain's blog can be the next susan loone's blog?

Anonymous said...

ain.. let him rest.. history tells everything, no1 umno leader will leave the party eventually. its the fact. but in dr M's case, he might think of rejoining after paklah steps down. but will paklah do that? i dun think so.

amycheali85 said...

if we tell encik azman or the JPA's officer back there in msia dat we support the opponent side, wut would they do? tarik balik our scholar kah? well they'll surely the most stupid yet idiot ppl in the world if they do dat.

after all,we will serve for the msian gov after we graduated soon,not for UMNO or BN or MCA or MIC or PAS or KEADILAN or DAP or wutsoever political parties in msia...

daym i hate talking about politic rite now!

Wan Ying said...

I wonder if u guys have heard...i read this on LIm Kit siang's blog. A jpa scholar wrote in to tell about how another JPA scholar's scholarship is in jeopardy because he/she blogged about his/her uni and things like that.

Freedom of speech, yes. But crazy stuff do happen in Malaysia. You may never know.

Anyway, the shhhhhhhhhhhh thing,it was just a joke. A joke that might be real who knows? ;P

Anonymous said...

kak ain....!!!! lama tak update blog....
exam ker???
good luck..

maelkelana said...

I really do not understand when they said by attending such courses, the government brainwash us. I went 3 times to Biro Tatanegara courses. Not even once they talked about politics or how UMNO did a great things to this country.They never attending such program,therefor they did not know what its all about.I cried when Dr.M annouced his retirement.Such a great person

Anonymous said...

hmmm....dats y u r still here...achieving none...y don't u think ur ayah was branwashed in the 1st place..the other side of Chedet konon....don't barking at people...go bark at the bukit antarabangsa...gal...